Rose Street runs between Johnston Creek to the east and Annandale Street to the west. However, due to topography, it is split into two sections and at Johnston Street it is linked by the Winkworth Steps.
No. 38 (Rear 233 Johnston Street)
See 233 Johnston Street.
No. 85 NW Cnr Piper Lane
The present building is of relatively recent origin, though it may incorporate parts of older structures. It may have been built to house printers who operated at the site until the 1970’s or 80’s.
A series of produce merchants occupied the site from about 1905. A cordial manufacturer seems to have briefly occupied part of the site around the time of World War One.
By the 1920’s the site was used by a wood and coal merchant and fuel dealers occupied the site for most of the 1940’s and 50’s, sometimes in combination with produce merchants.
This small factory building (now largely just a facade) probably dates from the 1930’s or 1940’s. However it possibly formed part of the Phoenix Fibrous Works (makers of fibrous plaster products) and, later, BW Electric Co (electrical engineers) which operated on the adjacent site at the corner of Johnson and Rose Streets from the 1920’s and into the 1930’s.
It seems however that by 1935 the building had an independent existence and was occupied by F Hennessy, confectionery manufacturers. That business passed to Middleton Pty Ltd in the late 1930’s and by 1945 Austin Textiles occupied the site along with the adjoining site at 248 Johnson Street.