Reserve Street, named after the park originally surveyed at its western end which never eventuated, has several old commercial premises.
Nos. 6A-6B (Rear of 122 Young Street)
This address shares premises with 122 Young Street. While for much of its life it may have housed the business conducted at the Young Street address, in the 1930s and 40s it housed a seperate boot and shoe manufacturing and repair business (Blandy & Mason) and in the 1950’s, Furnhete, sheet metal workers.
No. 36 NE (corner Young Street)
The building bears date 1898 and is first listed in 1900 a grocery (Mrs Agnes Findlay). Thereafter a series of proprietors operated a grocery here until the early 1930’s.
A furniture manufacturer (John E Hoult) shared the premises (possibly occupying the rear along Young St) from 1915. By 1919 Mr Hoult (with several others) had registered a firm name for an electroplating business, though it is not clear if the business ever operated at this site.
However, by 1920 the enterprising Mr Hoult had formed the Commonwealth Split Wood Pulley Co, pulley manufacturers, which initially operated at this site. Commonwealth Split Wood Pulleys probably moved down the hill to the factory building on the corner of Reserve and Mayes Street in the early 1920’s, no doubt to facilitated its expansion.